Quitting smoking can be extremely difficult. According to the FDA, nearly 70% of adult smokers in the United States in 2015 said they wanted to quit, but only about 55% make an attempt to quit in one year’s time.
While many people make several attempts to quit over their smoking career, only about 8% are successful in quitting for 6-12 months.
The good news is that there are many smoking cessation tools on the market today that can help current smokers become former smokers. Among these include nicotine replacement therapy, telephone quitline counseling, and smoking deterrent medications. However, there is a new smoking cessation tool available to all smokers for free. This revolutionary online tool is called BecomeAnEx.
About BecomeAnEX®: A Free, Digital Quit-Smoking Plan and Online Community
BecomeAnEx (also referred to as ‘EX’) is a project launched by the Truth Initiative, the largest non-profit public health organization in the U.S. that is strictly focused on helping people stop using tobacco. The idea came about when the Truth Initiative partnered with the Mayo Clinic Nicotine Dependence Center to help people quit smoking.
Today, EX is a free online resource that has reportedly helped more than 900,000 tobacco users.
In 2017, the Truth Initiative and Mayo Clinic expanded the EX to create a new platform called the EX Program. The EX Program is for companies, employers, and health plans. It includes all of the resources on EX in addition to a live chat digital coaching feature to connect with tobacco treatment experts as well as the option for users to have nicotine replacement medication shipped to their own homes.
How Does BecomeAnEX® Work?
To get started with BecomeAnEx, simply head over to their website and click “Get Started” to create a free account. When you sign up, you will be asked questions about what you smoke, how often you smoke, and how old you are. You are also given the option to sign up for emails and text messages to receive regular messages with smoking cessation tips and strategies that are tailored to your personal situation.
Next, you add your reasons for quitting tobacco. According to EX, keeping these reasons front and center will help you stay on the right track.
After inputting your reason for quitting, the program asks you where you are in your journey. Are you getting ready to quit? Are you already trying to quit? Did you quit a while ago? Or, are you not yet ready to quit? Depending on your selection, the program will take you to a specific informational webpage tailored to where you are on your quitting journey.
Finally, you end up on the “My Ex Plan” page where you can set a quit date, get support, learn what to expect upon quitting, and create a plan for quitting smoking successfully. Check-in with the program every day or multiple times a day, follow the prompts, and watch as you’re able to quit smoking with ease.
The best part about the program is that your plan is custom-tailored to meet your individual needs.
BecomeAnEX® Tools, Features, and Resources
EX truly is a one-stop shop for all of your smoking cessation needs. When you sign up, you are given quick unlimited access to:
- A personalized quit plan
- Text message support
- Interactive guides and tools
- Expert advice and tips from the Mayo Clinic
- An active, supportive “EX Community” of other tobacco users who have been through similar situations as you
According to the BecomeAnEX® website, there are three kinds of experts that make the program work:
- Mayo Clinic Expertise – Experts who have guided over 1 million people toward a tobacco-free life help you along your journey.
- Your personal experience – You are able to control your quit plan and decide which methods work for you.
- EX Community support – Other tobacco users and ex-smokers come together to share their experiences, coping skills, lessons learned, and more.
Among the giant database of educational resources on quitting tobacco include:
- A place to identify and understand your triggers (what make you want to use tobacco/smoke)
- In-depth guides that help you understand your tobacco addiction and whether or not you should consider medication
- The option to read about alternative quit methods like hypnosis and acupuncture
- A list of medications you can review to decide which one is right for you
- Comprehensive guides about how tobacco affects your health as well as the health benefits of quitting
The program also uses cognitive behavioral therapy principles throughout the use of text, videos, and other media to help you identify your triggers, adjust your behaviors, and embrace a healthier lifestyle.
Quit Tobacco With BecomeAnEX® Today
Quitting tobacco isn’t something you should do alone. Having a community of experts and peer support can boost your ability to successfully quit. Best of all, there is no cost or obligation to EX. You don’t have to pay money to use the digital resource and you can cancel any time. It is entirely risk-free.
What are you waiting for? Take the first step toward healthier lungs and life by starting your own quit plan on becomeanex.org.